Emptiness:
The day Joe left I literally thought I was going to die. It was the most horrible feeling. At any time of day no matter what my mood, if I think back to that moment I always start crying. It broke my heart to say goodbye for what seemed like an eternity. In the last six months there have been many times where I felt empty without him by my side.
Frustration:
Never take for granted that you can pick up the phone and call someone you love. There have been so many times when I heard something funny, needed a laugh, was sad beyond control, and couldn't call Joe. 15 minutes on the phone gives you nothing to work with and I was always left wanting to talk longer.
Friendship:
I would never have made it through these six months without very good friends. I have been blessed with an army of amazing friends. Distractions are always a good thing!
Pride:
Joe serves his country in the most unselfish way, and I have stood by him and our flag since the day I met him. Joe's job has been a sacrifice for me as well since he left but I have always been so proud of the part he plays for this country.
Faith:
Above all, this is the most important thing I have learned since Wyatt left for his first deployment and it has never failed me. The hardest part of Joe being gone is not missing him, but worrying about him every minute of the day. I learned very fast that I can't hold all of my burdens and fears and there is no better hands to put them in then our God who sends all his angels to watch over my guys. Prayers were heard and God kept him safe.
Love:
There are times when I have felt closer to Joe being 8,000 miles away then right here in Abilene. When all you have is words to use, they become pretty powerful and I learn new things about Joe everyday. It doesn't seem possible to fall more in love when you are apart but it is a deeper love that had developed because of the distance. I would never trade our time apart for that reason.
These are but a few of the emotions that I have experienced since July 23rd! This is a hard thing to write about simply because it's been my life for so long now. Half a year is a long time. Think about where you were six months ago and all the things that have changed and how you have moved along. When I said I wouldn't trade our time apart, I really believe those words. I know Joe was exactly where he belonged. I know this because of one time in particular that I know for sure he was flying over Wyatt and his soldiers. He has saved thousands of lives on the ground: how could I have wished him here when God had bigger plans for him. I'm so proud that those plans included him showing up that one day Wyatt needed him. It has not been easy. It has not been luxurious. It has not been the happiest of times. However, it will have been worth every tear shed to see him get off that plane tomorrow!
7 comments:
Thank you for making me tear up at my desk!!! I'm praying for you today. For strengh to GET WELL so that you can enjoy every minute of his return!!!!
Today's the day! We can't wait to see the welcome home pictures!
what a roller coaster of emotions over the last 6 months! i especially loved reading about your faith and pride during this time. and now i can't wait for you to write about the extreme joy as he returns!
Wow, you said it. I'm tearing up too as I read this. I know I keep saying this, but you are my hero and I'm so proud of the strength you've shown. Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it!
Congrats on having Joe home! I know today has been a special day for you. I admire the sacrifice he makes for all of us. Hope you are feeling better and over your virus.
~Steph Phelps
I can honestly say that I have felt ALL of those emotions and I know what a roller coaster it can be! No one can understand the amazing feeling of knowing they are home safe in your arms. I am beside myself I'm so excited for you, and I'm also very thankful for Joe and his committment to serving our country. Tell him welcome home from this Marine Wife even though he doesn't know me!
Wow, what a crazy 6-months it's been! I'm glad you had faith & love to hold onto!
Post a Comment